When style 1 made the transition from the earlier “bracket-shoe” design to the one-piece flange in 1929, some examples were made with the new rim construction while retaining most of the cosmetic appointments of the 1920s design. #9539-54 is one of these transitional models. The rosewood fingerboard is inlaid with simple dot position markers and the old-style “The Gibson” peghead logo is silk-screened. The dark-finished maple resonator is bound on the back edge only. The tailpiece is the type referred to in prewar Gibson catalogs as the “Grover first model” and the rim label is the smaller “The Gibson” type used on the non-Mastertone models. This example has been fitted with an aftermarket Elton armrest.
Photos courtesy of an anonymous collector.