TB-3 #8041-35(see Gibson banjo serial numbers vs. factory order numbers) dates to 1925, the first year of production for Mastertone banjos with Gibson’s new flange and resonator construction. As is common in Mastertones from early 1925, the rim decal is the type used on Gibson’s earlier trap-door banjos rather than the Mastertone label which would soon come into use.
This example remains in original condition with the exception of rhinestones and an inscription on the truss-rod cover added by previous owner Tilghman D. Frank (1914-1988) of Emmaus, Pennsylvania. The banjo was later owned by Paul B. Peters (1914-1986), who played for many years with a band called “The Little Round Toppers”, active in Berks and Lehigh Counties, Pennsylvania.
Photos courtesy of an anonymous collector.